Healthy trees can fall down. A tree may be green and lush, but that does not guarantee that it is structurally safe. Inspect trees anytime, but especially after storms. Examine the crown, branches, trunk, and area around the roots for these common dangers:
- Broken, dead, or hanging branches
- Cracks, fungi, and cavities
- Weak trunk or branch unions
- Encircling root compressing the trunk (a flat-sided trunk at the ground level is a good indicator).
- Recent lean (especially if the soil or grass has lifted on one side)