specialized power equipment used to remove tree stumps by grinding away the solid wood. May be towed or self-propelled. Stump machine. Stumper.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017)
A typical stump grinder incorporates a cutter wheel with fixed carbide teeth. The cutter wheel movements are controlled by hydraulic cylinders to push the cutter head laterally through the stump and to raise and lower it.
Stump grinding is done with the use of a very powerful, heavy, and potentially dangerous machine. Stump grinding is generally performed by a qualified arborist or landscaper. It is possible to rent a stump grinder from tool hire companies for DIY projects.
If choosing to stump grind yourself, there are some safety rules that should be adhered to:
- Read and follow all instructions provided with the stump grinder rental or purchase. Stump grinding can literally become a life or death situation if done incorrectly, so this is important to the safety of all involved.
- Wear your protection- hard hat, safety goggles, earplugs, gloves, work boots, long sleeves, and pants, avoiding loose clothing, remove jewelry, and tie long hair back.
- Remove anything that you can see may become a projectile from around the work area such as small rocks
- Check with utility companies for possible underground pipes or wires.
- Set up a boundary around your work area for the safety and security of others.
- Stump grinding can be incredibly satisfying. Assuming the user is strong enough to handle the machine and all rules are followed, do it yourself stump grinding is a viable working option.